Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 2017 15:09:34 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Determine if new pilot bearing needs replacement?

So, the metal shards left behind on the pilot bearing were steel (magnetic). Regardless, after cleaning it with brake parts cleaner on a towel and Q tips then adding a little tacky grease, I checked how it turned. It turned the same (as easily) as a new WBX pilot bearing in hand. As list wisdom suggests I'm sure it'll be fine. Thanks!

That said, an initially square input shaft end may not have been the only cause of the difficult engine install. This was the first time I'd used a 3 point connection between hoist chain and engine. Image:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KNwUTnwiPM9Kqw5S2

Though I tried hard to line things up, a combination of hoist and chain position must've created poor engine angles during install. During 2nd install attempt (successful), while turning the crank a little to line up clutch/input shaft splines, the flywheel once again ground on the clutch housing. I'll be cleaning the ring gear teeth via the starter motor hole. Anyhow....

It's in. Image:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/I0yP0IN7JphCb5ZZ2

And since I'd been horsing around with the engine, and was curious about input shaft length, input shaft bearing position, I did some measuring. As it turns out, the crank snout, thus pilot bearing end, sits about 3 - 4 mm beyond the Kennedy adaptor plate. So, with the input shaft shortened to ~ 12 mm past clutch housing face (mating surface) image of length:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qK9bAT127NJy9ESw2

adding in that 3 mm, the input shaft effectively becomes 15 mm long. This installed pilot bearing (supplied by Kennedy) is 15 mm long. Same as (diesel?) VW pilot bearing. Image from 2010 showing my WBX and (diesel?) longer sealed pilot bearings:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ky2LGjQ7BOcfJcTt2

But since I increased the taper on the input shaft, the bearing surface was reduced to about 8 mm. However. Adding in the 3 mm means that the input shaft should ride on 11 mm of the pilot bearing. ...... I think.

Mock up images showing how I took measurements:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hPEawbw6X6db9SZY2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t7WUqCYV4q2tJorp2

Also, using a hose clamp on the un cut input shaft as a guide really helped keep the cut straight. For fun, image showing cut offs from my first engine swap and this current swap:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/anBil0fx69rzmQdE2

In hindsight, I'd have cut this input shaft a little longer then shaped chamfer.

Neil.

On 10/4/17, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all > > During an engine install attempt (with somewhat aggressive engine > jostling by me), the engine would not fully seat into the transaxle. > Reason: input shaft was bumping up against the new pilot bearing. > Close up images showing metal shavings from input shaft left on pilot > bearing: > > https://photos.app.goo.gl/XIxuSnBR6BeH8IaD2 > https://photos.app.goo.gl/cgUgkXklgmdXsNd32 > > I don't see any obvious damage to the pilot bearing but how can I > determine if the bearing is still ok or not? > > .... I cut the transaxle > input shaft to correct length but only put a mild chamfer at shaft > end.....

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>