Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Oct 2017 11:03:49 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com>

As I understand it, a low oil pressure can result from mechanical failures, such as worn bearings or cases, worn oil pump ( rare), or other internal mechanical wear. It can also result from high oil temperatures, which may occur independently of engine wear (for example, high speed driving (high rpms) at very high ambient temperatures). High rpms at high ambient temperatures with a worn engine exacerbate the problem. Oil break down may contribute also, and oils that resist break down may help, if the problem isn't due to engine wear.

A temperature gauge cannot inform you of low oil pressure. It can only inform you of oil temperature. It may help you determine WHY oil pressure is low.

mcneely