Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:59:44 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: last tire question (from me)(14x6 VW alu wheel)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Every recommendation I read from tire manufacturers, sellers, independent agencies, government agencies, says that if you run one older pair and one newer pair of tires, the newer pair (or the pair with the most tread, actually), should be on the front. Is there a particular reason you are doing the opposite?

Back in the day, I was taught to do like you. The reasoning was that the greater stopping power being on the rear prevented the rear overrunning the front when in an emergency stop. But the recommendations I read now say that empirical evidence is that in serious accidents, poorer tires on the front is often the cause.

I'm not saying this as an expert. I'm just repeating what I get from those who claim to be.