Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:38:52 -0700
From:         Quadrat <quadrat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: The Hunt is On!!!

Guess I'm a lucky boy! Quite a few years ago I was looking for a Suby 2.2 for my Syncro Westy.

I found a used one via Craigslist, my son and I pulled it from a Legacy that had a blown transmission and wasn't worth the price to fix, apparently. However, it had quite a bit of blow-by or something, and always left the rear of the van coated in oil splatters. It never failed me, though.

Having decided to find an engine in better condition, I happened across an obscure (to me) forum of folks who build their own airplanes. There was one chap who was selling two Suby 2.2 engines. One was rebuilt with some kind of special cam in it, and there was one with like, 72 original miles on it!!! Not 72K, 72! Turns out it was from a new Suby that was severely damaged in a hailstorm at the dealership and totaled. An aircraft builder bought the engine, stored it for years, sold it to this fellow who also stored it, and then decided to sell.

The engine was in Washington state, and I'm in the SF Bay Area. As luck would have it, my son and a friend were planning to go up to Washington to pick up a special model Golf. He inspected it, and it did look new, so he made the deal and brought the engine home in the back of the Golf. It was not oily at all, being brand-spankin' new.

It purrs like a kitten...