Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Oct 2017 15:56:56 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday NVC, Chevron gasoline
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>

Well, all the gasoline in the northwest comes from one of two refineries, BP in Ferndale and Shell (Tesoro) in Anacortes. They both refine north slope from AK and Bakken crude from ND.

Years ago Tesoro in AK was a client of mine, and I visited their lab frequently. They would refine a base stock to a specific octane rating, and tested it in an actual firing cylinder that had adjustable compression. They literally found the knock point. Then they added the additives each brand required and shipped it out to the vendor's distribution centers.

Your station owner may well be right, but there is no way to know for sure. Those trucks have multiple compartments, so they can carry several different fuels. As long as it's a modern station with double wall tanks and decent sales volume you should be okay, it's water in their tanks that causes real problems.

The only difference in gas brands is the ethanol content and additive package. The "Top Tier" fuels have the highest amount of detergents in them, and that's a good thing. Even Costco is Top Tier now: http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Stuart