Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 2017 15:49:11 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil.. Where's it go?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I was searching for something else and stumbled upon an archive post from Frank Grunthaner. In part, he wrote about the windage tray. Can't find the page now but I'd copied what he wrote. If I recall, Frank was-is running an Audi 3A "bubble" block with a diesel pan. Here's his post edited to topic:

This is the end of an extensive travel period and the onset of the submission

deadline for a new round of NASA space science and Astrobiology research

proposals, so I have been in a more-passive-than-usual lurking mode. A few

quick comments about some I4 conversion questions:

First, on the issue of the Windage tray, the unit you want is the VW stock

item for many (not all) of the 2.0 l ABA engines. The part number is

037-115-220 B and is available from VW dealers, and most VW performance

aftermarket suppliers (Tectonics, etc.). The unit is quality with a capital D

(Deutsch). The unit is a stamped tray and feels as if it is made of copper. A

integral rubber gasket is molded as part of the tray. In the bolt hole areas,

metal sleeves are molded into the gasket to control gasket compression when

torqueing the pan bolts. The tray/gasket is designed for repeated use,

requires no goop for sealing and fits perfectly on all ABA and earlier e

ngines ( all 1.8 l, 1.7 l and 1.6 l I-4 blocks ) both gas and diesel.

Installation on the Vanagon I-4 gas or diesel engines requires removal of the

oil pickup tube to put the gasket in place.

The retail is $89 and I paid about $67 from Camelback. As I recall (it has

been awhile), there was no advantage to buying from Tectonics and I like to

support Camelback (as well as Bus Depot, Vanagain, etc). Check European Car

as several vendors like German ... and Performance ... and Euro ... recently

advertised the tray for as little as $55. Always insist on the part number.

Many aftermarket and dealer parts operatives will insist the plastic oil

pump pickup baffle is a windage tray. If you are quoted a price around $20

to $30, this is what they are quoting you. Remember, this is the America

doomed to continually repeat the Scopes Monkey trial!

The windage tray strips the oil film from the crank and helps keep the oil

pickup under oil during the most extreme conditions. It also has a direct

effect on the extent to which the oil is aerated (foamed by the crank

thrashing in the oil). The advantage of the windage tray is directly related

to the oil viscosity and film strength. That is, if you are running molasses

(SAE 50 or eq.) big effect, thin penetrating oil (SAE 0 W) then little

effect.

But what effect, you might ask? Well, the traditional value in HP at high rpm

for racing engines is given as 3 to 5%. These numbers are for traditional

engines where the static oil level is below the lowest point of the

crankshaft. In the basic line of I-4 VW engines both transverse and

longitudinal (remember, same offset angle) this is also the case. For the

Vanagon mount angle with the diesel oil pan, the oil level (static and full)

is at least 1.2 centimeters higher than in the rest of the I-4 family. There

is a several mm overlap with the crank at the static position. (BTW, I have

the full cross-sections of the I-4 mount in the Vanagon from the original

German technical articles and will send them on to a web site when time permi

ts). This means that in the hard-over mount condition, the effect is greater

than the 3-5% standard effect. Now, my measurements:

1. No horsepower difference measurements yet, but coming. By the notoriously

unreliable seat-of-the-pants estimate, the engine spins up noticeably faster.

2. No oil pressure light flash on hard braking or cornering. (Yep, had it

before).

3. Oil temperature at 5600 rpm under load, has dropped 12 degrees F. Probably

due to lack of air in oil. This is for my standard 5W-40 synthetic oil.

4. Amazing change in oil thrashing around in crankcase. As repeated in the

next section, I put a borescope into the former dipstick hole and have a tape

of the crank flying around and the agitation of the oil. I'll try to pull a

few frames to show the key points, but its not the frothing shower it was.

5. Finally, the gasket completely eliminated oil pan leaks.

Second, on the issue of the oil dipstick port on all I-4 engines (other than

the Vanagon diesel) which are mounted at the proper (engine cover conserving

design). Caution!!! This is a most important issue although proper resolution

is trivial. Remember that for Digifant II and CIS-E engines (I assume CIS is

similar, but haven't really looked at this primitive system) the crankcase

can only be ventilated via the PCV system. An air leak in the crankcase

system will effect fuel economy significantly. If one uses the diesel oil pan

and dipstick, this in-the-block dipstick port must be sealed. I cut the tube

off about 10 cm. away from the block surface (Dremel tool). Then used HT PCV

hose and clamp over the tube wall, and a long bolt (long enough to have non

threaded portion - 8 or 10 mm bolt - same OD as dipstick tube) to close it

off. I, on occasion, use this port to test modifications I have made

(measuring crankcase pressure, adding video boroscope to examine engine while

running, etc, etc). This clamped PVC hose approach has functioned perfectly.

I have seen other conversions with pinched-off tubes, stuffed rags, bolt with

permatex ... argh.

One listee commented about complete removal and replacement with the oil

dipstick tube used on the later diesels and turbo-diesels delivered other

than in the USA. This will work if carefully done. In my correspondence with

a German colleague, I was told that the bore in the block was different. So I

did not investigate further. I saw one conversion where the owner cobbled up

the dipstick system from the later waterboxers and crafted a Swagelock

transfer between the WB parts and the I-4 dipstick tube. Bad. Had to

calibrate actual oil level to get proper stick length. Dipstick often caught

during insertion. ...

Frank Grunthaner