Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Oct 2017 08:13:20 -0400
From:         Dave Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: UPDATE RE: leaking cap nut? 1.9er
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Upon initial clockwise twist it did not seem loose…

During loosening, it did its normal groaning and creaking, threads seemed clean, and I didn’t see any remnants of sealant under the cap nut.

Cleaned the threads, inside and out, ran the cap nut over a piece of sand paper, cleaned mating surface put a dab of the right stuff on the cap nut and torque it down… 40 Ft lbs.

Let it sit overnight, more because I was done than set up time for goop… filled it up, bled it and no leak…

Had to run to grab a stamp to mail something so I figured, hey what the heck, lets give it a try. Leaving the post office literally on pulling out of my parking spot is when the transaxle decided to let go… I’ll be jumping under there this morning to investigate…

Thanks so much for all the help…

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Dennis Haynes Sent: Friday, October 27, 2017 9:50 PM To: Dave Bohannan Cc: vanagon list Subject: RE: UPDATE RE: leaking cap nut? 1.9er

Was that nut loose? Were you able to torque it to 40-41 ft. lbs. and have it stay tight? You will need to drive it a bit to be sure all is good.

Good luck, Dennis

From: Dave Bohannan [mailto:fjazzbass@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, October 27, 2017 1:03 PM To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> Cc: vanagon list <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: UPDATE RE: leaking cap nut? 1.9er

Quick update… reseal and retorque of capnut seems to be successful… I had to fill the cooling system anyway to move the bus to the right place in the driveway. I really cannot see any cracks externally- but I may be in for a head removal anyway because this exhaust manifold is shot and needs to be replaced- the hardware on the same quad of the engine looks like it will try to take a chunk of the head out with it when I try to get the mani loose… more fun and info as I move forward…

Dave Sent from Mail for Windows 10 From: David Bohannan Sent: Friday, October 27, 2017 8:40 AM To: Dennis Haynes Cc: vanagon list Subject: Re: leaking cap nut? 1.9er

Thanks Dennis- so is a pressure test just a waste of time at this point? Is it just time to take the head off?

Hindsight being 20/20....

Dave