Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Oct 2017 18:18:39 -0400
From:         Jack R <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Sharing the 16" Tire Upgrade on my 84 Westy

I just finished my tire adventure on my 84 Westy. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN_82RX9-LbSGNZE5EVtTTzQmKz25JnLZyec9K6

$400 for 16" Benz wheels with 31 Off-Set, had to drill out to 14MM. Found a great set on E-Bay.

$450 for the Continental XL rated 16" tires (215/55R16) 700AA 51PSI. Tire-Rack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=PureContact+with+EcoPlus+Technology&partnum=155HR6PURECXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

$60 for Costco Mount & Balance of 4 tires

$100 for 4 Wheel Center Hubs. http://www.t3technique.com/lug-nuts-studs-and-bolts/wheel-accessories/custom-center-caps-3/

$50 for the T3 17mm Nuts & Bolts http://www.t3technique.com/lug-nuts-studs-and-bolts/lug-bolts/small-ball-seat-lug-bolts.html

$80 for the 7mm T3 Spacers (rear wheels are 14mm closer together than front, this helps stabilize the van more. http://www.t3technique.com/lug-nuts-studs-and-bolts/wheels-adapters/custom-wheel-spacers.html

$50 wheel T3 Wheel Studs (not too hard to remove, and a friend had a press I used for free). Checked torque of axle bolt at work 360 ft. lbs. http://www.t3technique.com/lug-nuts-studs-and-bolts/wheel-studs/press-in-wheel-studs.html

$1190.00 complete, with easily available replacement tires.

I can say that since I've owned my Westy (purchased in 1987) it is the BEST drive and handling I've ever experienced.

Tire/Wheel decisions are a very personal choice, I kept my old tires/rims/hub-caps... I case I ever show it at a "pure VW" event.

This whole project took way too much time, thought, research.

Thanks to some great support from the List and T3 Technique, I'm very happy. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNmIUrN2nPRA2EvljzKqGt0ENd3qEKbQvs6XeGs

Now, to place it into winter storage :(

Looking forward to next summer!

Jack