Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Oct 2017 12:04:28 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil heat exchanger fail.. more
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

The old oil cooler on my daily driver 15ยบ ABA had at least 60,000 miles on it when I bought the engine. I used that cooler for about 8 years (sorry. No accurate mileage). Some time after the cooler O ring started leaking, I replaced the cooler. My guess is that by design, maybe, the failing O ring gives a person a chance to at least inspect part of the cooler. My cooler had some cracks starting at O ring area. Image:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8vVSmhGpVnPhpgyq1

close up

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGHZESQCy2ikwmzq1

In part, based upon list advice, I replaced the cooler. The new cooler has been fine for at least 15,000 miles. That said, other than signs of coolant/oil mixing, I don't know what warning signs one would see if there was an internal failure developing.

I'm sure its possible for a manufacturer to make inferior parts or have a run of inferior parts. WBX coolant expansion tanks come to mind.

I had considered installing an external cooler on this swap I'm busying doing but my other ABA seems to be fine with the stock oil cooler.

We'll see if I eat my words here but I'm confident the stock oil cooler on this next swap will suffice. Oh that reminds me < adds cooler to parts list >

;)

Neil.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

..... >

> Of course everyone that has had an oil cooler failure will post at how > unreliable they are. There simply isn't a 100 percent failure rate unless > something is wrong. Yes they sometimes fail but so do tires and we are > giving up on them yet. > > I for one do like to replace them with a direct to air cooling system, an > external oil cooler. ..... >

> > > Did you buy that 2 year old cooler new? >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>