Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Dec 2017 09:04:20 -0800
From:         Toomey Douglas <drt@UOREGON.EDU>
Subject:      Air conditioning compressor

Great to see the list back up and working! Thanks!

Recently the a/c compressor on my 87 vanagon began making a noise and appears to be going bad. I’ve removed the belt for now so that it does not turn. Last summer, made the switch from R12 to R134a. Also left off the cowling on the ceiling that comes with westy. Worked great, really cooled car pretty quickly and not having cowling allowed air to come forward more quickly.

I got a quote from a local service station that many use in the area (Eugene, OR). They recommended replacing compressor, expansion valve, receiver/dryer. Apparently, the labor price goes way up because of expansion valve and access. If the expansion valve does not need to be done (i.e., no metal bits in coolant), it is $1300 (~700 parts, 600 labor). Still a hefty price in both categories.

A couple of questions:

1) Parts cost is high by $200-300 relative to what I can see on vanagon related sites. Is that normal? The mechanic said they would not use parts I supplied, must buy their own. Reason given is the 2 year, 24K warranty.

2) I can do much of the labor for allowing access to expansion valve. I stripped the entire interior of the car last year for body work, so know what is involved. Will most garages allow a client to do that?

3) Can anyone suggest a/c mechanics in Oregon with vanagon experience?

Other advice welcome!

Doug