Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Dec 2017 12:07:26 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: " Fail Safe " Type Coolant Thermostat
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thanks Dennis. I'd wondered if it was "too good to be true". Seems there's always a "give and take" to design.

Though the thermostat design may not be as critical as it is for a WBX engine, I worry about the type of thermostat my VW parts shop sells me for my Jetta engine in my Vanagon. Its a Calorstat brand which is useable in several different brands of engine. Hence my searches elsewhere and discovery of this "gimmick" thermostat design.

Neil.

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 6:48 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This thermostat is a gimmick. The deal is that if the stat over-extends it > locks open. So if it extends for a normal situation such as hot day and > extended load it will be stuck open and will have to be removed to reset or > replace. It does nothing to add protection for failure of the Waxman to > open it or if the assembly should break which are both common t-stat > failure modes. > > Worse, if you order this for the Vanagon, the listing bases fit on the > diameter of the main valve, not the bypass valve disc. The lower disc will > be the wrong diameter and the wrong location closing off the bypass, > (mixing) port to early and often even jamming in the housing. The > Waterboxer relies heavily on the coolant always flowing between the engine > and heads to maintain even temperatures. With the bypass closed there won't > be flow until the radiator port opens and then it will not even throughout > the engine. Some parts can overheat while the gauge is reading normal. I've > tried this type of stat on my first motorhome, Ford E350 with a 460. Didn’t > have enough flow so it ran hot anytime under load. Went to dealer to get > the right stat. > > Dennis, > Who doesn't like gimmicks. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of Neil N > Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2017 5:23 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: " Fail Safe " Type Coolant Thermostat > > I know Dennis Haynes has written of thermostats, fitment etc. >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>