Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2018, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 2018 11:05:20 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine thoughts--now Go Westy engine management system
Comments: To: Eric Caron <eric.caron@icloud.com>

You're welcome Eric.

From the GW page:

"New software system with OBDII-like diagnostics with full ScanGauge compatibility"

Hard to know what they mean by "OBDII-like" but they do mention that their original version of EFI was based on a Delphi ECU so that might be a clue. My guess is that they would've had to re program the ECU to work with the design of their system. In doing that, they may also have modified the OBD aspect of the ECU. e.g. program it to ignore something like an EVAP leak detection pump (as used on modern EVAP systems)

Info one would see on their OBD scanner or reader would depend in part on the brand and design. What little I know in dealing with an OBD system is that "in the wrong hands", a DTC thrown by a fault can be misleading. e.g. if the code reader shows a DTC for the engine coolant sensor, it would be easy to assume that the sensor is at fault when in fact the fault could be caused by a dirty connection or failing wire. But yes. That system could help speed up diagnosis of a no start or poor run condition.

IMO, the IAC valve is not an inherently weak part. That type of component was used on a lot of VW's. I would suggest that the ECU used in the GW system will have idle control built into it just like a lot of other modern ECU's. That in itself should be an improvement over the aging separate idle control system used on the 1.9 and 2.1 WBX

It looks like the GW engine position unit has 2 hall sensors? The image they show of that part has a wheel with gaps. I'd imaging their part works in a similar way to the Digifant distributor but without a rotor and cap.

Neil.

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:09 AM, Eric Caron <eric.caron@icloud.com> wrote:

> Thanks Neil, I didn’t see your post. Great info. > > Can someone let me know about a few of the pieces I don’t understand? > > list below from Neil. > > New ECU > this would replace our aging and rebuilt units > New OBDII Scanner Compatible Data Connector > What info would this actually give us? Would it help identify problems with no start or other issues?

> Engine Position Unit [Replaces Distributor] > This sounds like a major change > does this include Hall sensor and wires, and what else? >

> Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve Connector [Uses Original IAC Valve] > Is the original Idle Control valve usually fine or is this a weak area not adressed by the new management system? >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general

1988 Westy Images

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical