Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2018, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 2018 11:37:12 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine thoughts--now Go Westy engine management system
Comments: To: Eric Caron <eric.caron@icloud.com>

I hesitate to provide my own thoughts as I'm not overly familiar with the 1.9

Though the samba thread I refer to isn't very long, this post from that samba thread may shed some light:

It would be adaptable to the 1.9. You would just need to find the appropriate 2.1 core parts that they may want sent to them as cores and then install their system on the engine with what ever 2.1 parts you need to keep and use. The biggest issue will be either changing over the cooling system to the 2.1 style so that the 2.1 air cleaner can be used or figuring out how to adapt the GW system to the 1.9 air cleaner set up. It's doable. Plenty of people have put 2.1 engines in their early vans and swapped in the digifant system with it. It's generally accepted that the 2.1 cooling system is a bit better than the 1.9 set up.

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Eric Caron <eric.caron@icloud.com> wrote:

> Hi Neil, > > I can’t easily follow samba threads. > > Can you give me a little info about the thoughts on the 1.9 thread? > > Eric Caron > > > On Jan 4, 2018, at 14:17, Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > i think GW mentions this on their web page but the WBX 2.1 idle control > unit would be deleted. > > From their web page: > > *"This first system was comprised of:"* > > > > > *......."9. New Delphi electronic control unit (ECU)—replaces NLA Digifant > ECU and ICU (idle control unit)"* > So, I would assume they kept that ECU in their latest design. > > There is speculation in a thread on the samba Vanagon forum regarding use > of the new GW on a 1.9 WBX. > > Neil. > > >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>