Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2018, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:45:05 -0500
From:         Theodore Hoekman <thoekman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: It's cold out there
Comments: To: "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>

Brings memories of my ’60 split window van, sort of camperized with insulation added to walls and a cot across from the rear door. Had a supplementary blower in series with the heater feed to the front. Still pretty inadequate:( Christmas 67 traveled from Illinois to Conrad MT to show first grandchild(1 year old) to the maternal grandparents. Had two Coleman catalytic heaters and for most of the trip only operated one. On the way home after Christmas a cold wave plus snow. Bought and installed chains and tighteners and extra fuel for the heaters. Headed for home and the temperature dropped to -30+F. Drove though that first night to get out of the frigid zone. Turned engine off just long enough to check oil, otherwise ran continuously. That little 36hp took many miles to get up to cruising speed after a stop, because the transmission oil had stiffened up so much while we were eating and having coffee. Yes the days of being young and a little crazy:)

Ted

Theodore Hoekman thoekman@gmail.com 19 York St. Newbury, ON N0L 1Z0 (519)719-0342 Blog:http://Tedspassivesolarhouse.wordpress.com