Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2018 14:02:25 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: On a flat bed
Comments: To: Eric Caron <eric.caron@ICLOUD.COM>

Ours was not too bad or too exciting. We were on a trip SW from Richmond to Chattanooga and beyond, camping and exploring, and arrived at the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Alabama at dusk on the fifth or sixth night. The place was closed but I hopped out to check the hours for a visit the next day when I first heard the metallic whine from the engine compartment that turned out to be the alternator bearings going out.  All the luggage stacked in the wayback must have muffled the noise from the inside.  My wife was somewhat panicked but I felt pretty confident since I'd found a junkyard van and had picked up the alternator along with a coil, distributor, injector, plug wires and the like to carry as spares and had them under the driver's seat. We found a nice camping spot in a park right outside Birmingham that turned out to be near the NAPA/AutoZone/Advance/O'Reillys strip in town and next morning swapped out the units in the lot of one of those stores. I'd heard of recommendations to carry the electronic portion of the alternator in case of failure but had not had time to remove it so had tossed in the entire assembly and that turned out to be what I needed; the problem was mechanical rather than electric. Luck. We did get to meet listmember John Rodgers on that trip.  We contacted him while in the Barber lot in case the problem turned out to be major and after the repair swung by to thank him for his offer of assistance. Yay, John!  My wife did confess that after having the right part on hand and the tools and knowledge to replace it at the roadside that she would never again complain about my hoarding tendancies. That right there, folks, is marriage GOLD. I later had a blowout experience on a Miami trip and discovered the difficulty in finding load-rated stock size tires for a Westy while traveling but that also turned out well, as did the second blowout on an even later trip. Moral: be sure to replace aged tires on your van. Monitor the date codes and remember that six years max is the recommended limit. Stephen