Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2018 14:34:06 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Pump Relay/Fuse
Comments: To: Rick Cooper <rickdcooper@gmail.com>

I assume you have a 2.1 WBX? Your van now can't be started but it started ok before pump swap?

Bentley should show location of relay in index at beginning of the diagrams but the fuel pump relay is located inside the black box above the ignition coil. There should be an image in Bentley Digifant section showing which of the 2 relays is the fuel pump relay. That section should also show how to bypass the FP relay for testing purposes. There may be specialty relays that have internal fuses but relays aren't designed to act as fuses. (unless they fail in which case the circuit to pump would be open). AFAIK, non of the Vanagon relays are fused internally.

When key turned to ignition on (engine still off), the fuel pump should prime briefly but then shut off. So, seeing 0 volts at pump with ignition switch on, engine off, would be correct.

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Rick Cooper <rickdcooper@gmail.com> wrote:

> My fuel pump was whining/cavitating again so I thought I'd swap another one > in. (I don't really think that's the problem; there seems to be a blockage > in the tank.) But in the process, I seem to have lost power to the pump. > > Is this thing on a fuse somewhere? On page 97.106 of the Bentley, I see a > Fuel Pump Relay but I don't know where that is. Does a relay serve as a > fuse or will there also be a fuse on this circuit somewhere? If so, > where? I'm stumped. Can't even figure out how I lost power, but putting > my multimeter on the fuel pump wires, with the ignition on, shows 0 volts. > > I'm stumped. Any suggestions appreciated. > > Rick > > -- > *Because **I want my vote to count.* > *And I want my neighbour's vote to count too. * > https://secure.fairvote.ca/en/bc-referendum-vote-pledge >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>