Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2018 18:44:38 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <eric.caron@ICLOUD.COM>
Subject:      Re: On a flat bed
Comments: To: David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@verizon.net>

Hi Dave and others,

Age 19 with my girlfriend driving my 73 bus with over 100,000 miles. I put in a bed and we went off on a summer around the country trip.

After traveling into carls bad in over 100 degree temperature I filled the tank at a Stuarts, and I topped it off totally full. I went into the station and found it air conditioned. We stayed there a long time. I went out and when the bus was started the starter failed.

This was on a Sunday.

I called AAA and they sent someone. A guy showed up in a beat up truck. He went under my bus and said the starter was filled with gas as I popped a line.

OK, I now know, never, never, top off a tank. He took off a wheel and cleaned up the starter and put it back in. During this time I stayed out of the way. Suddenly with the wheel off and the man under the bus the bus came off the jack. He then yelled at me for not putting on the emergency brake. Not sure why he thought the young guy who topped off a tank in dessert heat would know to put on the brake.

Still he survived, the bus survived and, though he told me it was a Sunday temporary fix I was glad to be back on the road. I got the part replaced a few weeks later. The dangerous living mechanic told me I was lucky I didn’t blow up with all that gas!

So no flat bed but a break down that worked out and could have been really bad.

Eric Caron Living under many lucky stars.