Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2018 18:09:14 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Pump Relay/Fuse
Comments: To: Rick Cooper <rickdcooper@gmail.com>

Hi.

Not sure if your reply got to the Vanagon list; I only see my address in header.

The fuel pump normally primes every time you turn the key to ignition on, engine still off. If you do same in quick succession, pump may not prime the second time but thats ok. It can't hurt to prime the fuel system once its been opened but the van would eventually start if you didn't do that. If you search thesamba .com Vanagon Vanagon image gallery, you should find images of a cut open up OEM gas tank. On some tanks yes; there is a fine mesh filter in tank. Maybe even two. Can't recall. Aftermarket tanks may not have that screen. Fuel cavitation noise at pump can also be due to clogged pre pump filter but I think you would've noticed if you had a pre pump filter. Vanagons that came with that small square pre pump filter are generally limited to 80-85 models. Bentley shows various fuel filter configurations for various years and possibly even various states. e.g. California. Can't recall for sure. IIRC, there were 3 different filter configs for gas models. Pre pump filter only, pre and post pump filters or just a post pump filter. The last is probably what you have. Of note, the fuel pump has a screen inside it. If your new pump is still noisy, it's possible your tank has a lot of debris and some got stuck in screen of new pump. Check old pump for debris at that screen. Bentley shows procedure for checking fuel delivery rate. Dropping the gas tank, flushing it out, then replacing rubber grommets may suffice if issue is due to debris in tank. Once its out, you can look inside and see if its rusting. Beware that the grommet seal at top of each fuel expansion tank can fail and allow water ad/or dirt into the fuel tank. It appears you may live in BC? VM Autohaus in Burnaby BC usually has or can get fuel tank "reseal" parts. They're a very Vanagon aware shop. If you need to replace the grommet at fuel expansion tank(s), be careful with the white roll over valve. They are available new though. Likely only from US.