Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2018, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Feb 2018 14:15:53 -0500
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Original tent was:Re: vanagon Digest - 13 Feb 2018 to 14 Feb
              2018 (#2018-55)
Comments: To: davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM

Geeze, I forgot. The tent. The Campers I owned had a real tent. Wide red and (kinda) white stripes made of heavy canvas. It attached to the bus with 2 roof mounts and a front and rear bumper mount. One could move the bus around with the tent attached. Like our Vanagon pop top "tents", not too fast. The down side was one had to remove the tent to go for groceries. At the time, one would set up for camping and not leave for a week. Times changed and a stand alone tent was added to the bay window busses. After that, if one wanted a side tent, after market filled that spot pretty well. I have a Bus Depot side tent and find it a great place to put all the spare stuff that goes camping with us. Makes the Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile much lighter.

Dave B.

-----Original Message----- From: David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sat, Feb 17, 2018 11:49 am Subject: Re: Original tent was:Re: vanagon Digest - 13 Feb 2018 to 14 Feb 2018 (#2018-55)

Hi Eric, Campmobile is the marketing name that VW gave to the full camper, with beds, pop top, kitchen, what most on the list call a "full Westy," I guess because the conversion was done by the VW subsidiary Westfalia and that name appears as a decal above the windshield. I have the original owner's manual for my camper and the original sales materials from when the first owner bought it in Phoenix, and the full name of the vehicle in the book and the sales materials is: "Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile." I fell into the habit of posting about it with that name because one of the former participants on the list was fond of complaining when folks identified their vehicles with less than complete information. The tent is the same one that Westfalia installed in all the campers, light weight cotton canvas with one screened window on the front.