Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2018, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Mar 2018 16:40:42 -0500
From:         Robert Clemmer <n51219@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Automatic transmission Issue

The plan it to go to the transmission shop who rebuilt/overhauled it 8 - 10 or so years ago on Monday. I'll let you know how this pans out. I'd be thrilled for it to be only a flex plate. That seems to be the least costly repair.

Thanks, BC

I'm curious to hear what you find out. The reason I suspect the flex plate is that I've seen this before, albeit on a different make.

There are three tabs on the flex plate that bolt to the torque converter, and they can crack and eventually separate from the plate, leaving the TC essentially disconnected from the engine. For a while this still works until the rubbing between the tabs and the plate grows the gap, and the cracks eventually widen with this wear leading to the plate banging into the tabs under the conditions you describe (light load on the TC). And it's a really loud clang! You don't hear anything driving because the parts are locked together by the engine powering the vehicle. Eventually the cracks can wear to the point there is no longer any contact, and you are dead in the water.

They also can let go with a bang like you experienced because that was the last tab to go, the plate is now hitting the next three tabs over and the TC is tossed back and forth between tabs under low load!

Flex plates do actually flex because of the fluid coupling between engine and transmission, and after 335,000 miles yours has flexed a bazillion times. I think flex plates should be replaced every 300k or so!

Stuart

Not quite the original engine. Last year lube oil analysis was showing some antifreeze contamination at 319K miles so I did a "refresh". Heads, rings, bearings, and seals. Still the same internals though. This banging/lurching while stopped in gear thing has got me stumped. Since it only happens when it is stopped, I think I can rule out CV joints, flex plate cause it does not repeat or in sync with engine motion. I expect by Monday the roads will be clear to take it to the transmission shop for them to weigh in on.

And to think I left sunny 85 degree FL for this crap we're getting now.

BobC