Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2018, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2018 18:10:40 -0800
From:         Rick Cooper <rickdcooper@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pressure too high
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

I didn't have time to get much further than taking out the fuel pump and cleaning the screen the best I could with forced air. Didn't seem to be much debris collected however and that's as expected. The tank was replaced by the PO about 4 years ago and when I removed it a few weeks ago, expecting to find rust, it was clean as a whistle. I'd also left the ignition on overnight and drained the battery so it's been sitting on the charger all day.

Dennis and Neil, your discussion about the charcoal canister have got me thinking that just might be the cause of my problem. The symptoms I described earlier would be explained by a situation where air was unable to replace the fuel being pulled out of the tank: everything is fine for the first few miles until the vacuum building in the tank is enough to defeat the fuel pump and the engine ultimately starves.

I hadn't thought of this since I don't really understand the flow of air going on. How does the charcoal canister come into play and when? Is this really where the tank is getting replacement air as gas is used? What is the role of the valve you mentioned, which I take it is that 'thing' dangling next to the canister itself with two small tubes connected to the engine?

David, you may be out a nickel -- I can blow air through the return line -- usually. Strangely, there have been times when I've pulled off the road because the engine is stalling, pulled the return line off of the pressure regulator and tried to blow through it only to find that very difficult, almost impossible. (Which at the time made me think I'd found the problem.) But at home, engine cold, I can blow air though no problem and hear it bubbling in the tank. And I've traced the line from back to front and can see no kinks or other obvious damage. Could there be something inside the tank that is creating some sort of intermittent blockage?

Rick

-- *Because **I want my vote to count.* *And I want my neighbour's vote to count too. * https://secure.fairvote.ca/en/bc-referendum-vote-pledge