Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2018, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Mar 2018 14:27:21 +0100
From:         Raimund Feussner <ray@V6BUS.DE>
Subject:      Re: Is THIS the "boxer" transplant we've been waiting for?
Comments: To: "Jim. Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>,
          David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

The adjusting valves would disappear.

So how can you control intake/outtake strokes? You would need to modify the position of the opposing pistons to each other, maybe. That´s why I thought of the tensioner. Like on Audi twin camshaft heads, which use an oilpressure controlled tensioner (adjusting intake to outlet camshaft).

David, I mean the ugly gear connecting both cranks... The flywheel is only on the lower crank.

However, since it´s a two stroke without camshafts, running it backwards just needs a reversed starter motor. Perfect for front-engine setups in rear-engine cars! The solution to all our problems!

Raimund

Am 07.03.2018 um 22:10 schrieb Jim. Felder: > I was thinking same as Raymond, that the moving parts in an OHV engine are > a lot of both the energy and manufacturing inefficiency of a traditional > engine. I don't think a belt or anything else would work though, and what's > an extra gear or two? Transmissions are full of them, no problem really. > The configuration shown in the video is probably not going to be the end of > the story if this design gets beyond the test bed stage and the best > mechanical and manufacturing minds start pondering it. The only concession > to precision control mentioned in the video seems to be the boost, so I am > not sure variable piston relationships would be needed if that is so. > > Emissions? Don't know but it seems like 45% efficiency would be a great > place to start from. > > Jim > > On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:18 PM Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > >> Bah humbug >> >> Just an updated and trimmed down version of Napier Deltic. >> >> :-) >> >> Alistair >> >> >>> On Mar 7, 2018, at 8:48 AM, Jim. Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>> >>> Everything is wrong with this new engine--opposed piston, combustion >>> ignition, two-cycle. But check out the video and tell me--if it became >>> popular—that you wouldn't want one in your Vanagon. >>> >>> < >>> >> https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/videos/radical-new-engine-makes-a-run-at-reality/?ftag=ACQ-00-10aaa5b&vndid=00e8ca988f7d01a748f9a28d57d69900d7 >>> Jim >>