Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2018, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Apr 2018 15:21:16 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <wa7zpu@5BY9.NET>
Subject:      Mysterious Oil Drain Plug Leak

Hello,

Some history first. I owned my '84 since new. About 20 years ago, the oil drain plug threads in the case stripped. I inserted a Heli-Coil. From that point on, I cut a new cardboard drain plug gasket to use for each oil change. One reason that I switched to cardboard was so I didn't have to tighten the plug very tight. I never had a leak, until now.

Starting with the last oil change there was a small leak. As time went on it got worse, but I thought that it would fix with the next cardboard gasket. It didn't.

Because the shoulder on the OEM drain plug is small, I changed to an aftermarket drain plug with a wider shoulder. It came with a nylon gasket which I then used. It still leaked.

Today, I tried a cardboard gasket with the new plug. It still leaked.

So, I took some photos. They can be found at:

http://5by9.net/busleak

In photo a13.png, starting from the center, the Heli-Coil can be seen. Around that there appears to be an insert in the case, perhaps steel. Then, the case material can be see around the insert, as well as flaking plating of some sort.

What concerns me is the artifact at about 11:00 o'clock. Both the insert and the case seem to be breached at this point. Also, please notice the bubble in the plating above and to the left of the breach.

Photo a14.png is from a different angle and perhaps shows the artifact a little better.

Could oil be leaking through this breach, under the plating, and then out? If not, what else could the leak be? It's getting worse and will have to be dealt with.

Most importantly, what is the fix?

Thanks, Mike