Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2018, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Apr 2018 11:32:59 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shifting 5 speeds
Comments: To: Peter Kraiker <turbowesty@gmail.com>

I have that 5 speed, I think. yes, I have to 'sort of' push down for 1st gear and for reverse, both. But Reverse is the real locked out gear... The problems lie in the shifter mechanisim below the floor...There is a sliding bolt thing that has a small ball in a hole, compressed by a spring...it doesn't really show in any bently...That thing gets gummed-up. If you take it apart, be careful and don't lose that ball, which springs out and rolls away when you remove the bolt.

I rarely use the first gear daily...I start usually in second, though if I have to go slowly or start on a steep hill, I do use the first gear. Do Not try to "guide" the shift lever through the gears...it does better if you just push it straight forward or pull it back...don't try to guide it through the H ..... It takes a 'feel' that you'll develop....also, be sure to keep the bushings and the cup lubed up....it makes a world of difference..

If you do try to "guide" the lever around, it does become problematic trying to drive smoothly, but it you just flick the lever straight back for third and fifth, and nudge it forward for second and fourth, mine does really wall....as long as it is lubed up at the bushings.