Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:23:08 -0600
From:         Eric Wunrow <VW@ERICWUNROW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Road Trip
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>

ADDENDUM just occurring to me, thanks to Oliver…

(Know that getting a permit for The Wave is nearly impossible except for in January)

From Goosenecks — and by the way, you can camp on the cliff top there for $10, at a site or at large by going left — go north up Moki Dugway, one amazing road!

Just beyond the top, right-hand bend, turn left 2-3 miles to Muley Point, then right on a rough stretch near and above the rim for about a mile. There's one steep little downhill bit but we had no problems even when we had our 14s on with the old tires it came with.

There's a little two-track turnoff going left about 300 feet to a cul-de-sac of sorts, and it is a Top 10 favorite camp of ours! The spot is 60 feet from a sheer drop to the San Juan River and overlooks Monument Valley from a distance. If you walk right and around the point, you can drop down and head leftwards back towards your camp on a ledge below the rim. If you continue around the point to the cliff that's roughly facing towards a bit north of Monument Valley, and almost directly below and I guess east of camp, there's a large boulder covered in petroglyphs.

If you like Native ruins and can hike, you are close to the area I'd refer you to via my private email. We have documented 117 Native sites in that area… and again, I won't post that location on any public media.

Plan on no cell at Muley Point, at best it's random and weak with AT&T. Verizon is the best out west, and we're switching back soon as being full-timers and needing cell to work.

Be mouse-proof, though, the spot is notorious in our history — but once we proofed the van with steel wool, they didn't get in.

There's a little semi-outdoor restaurant in Mexican Hat that has a helluva steak, too.

Eric Eric Wunrow Pictures 303. 988. 8717

VW@EricWunrow.com (for this list's emails) EW@EricWunrow.com (for private messages)