Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2018, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2018 04:55:12 +0000
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: multimeter

In my experience most multimeters are good enough for basic vehicle diagnostic. All have accurate enough voltage measuring to tell if something is amiss with the battery, charging or cranking. Most have a few current ranges, though for vehicle use a relatively high current range up to several amps or 10A is handy. For higher currents a clamp meter is useful as Karl points out. I have a cheaper Canadian tire version $20 or $30. The Elenco one Karl points to is likely better. Make sure you get a clamp that does both AC and DC. Some cheaper ones do only AC.

I have had at least 20 digital multimeters. I have four of a type similar to the Harbourfreight free coupon one. These four I bought personally in China in 1998 - 20 years ago. All 4 still works well. For those without the coupon the same multimeter can be bought for $3 from ebay, or same  / similar ones for $6 in stores. If there is something I think is overrates it would be auto ranging. I prefer a fixed range. At least the cheaper auto-ranging ones I've had take a long time to figure out the range. Not good when one tries to measure the transient low battery voltage just as the started turns on. I had one expensive Swiss BBC multimeter - $200 or $300 (BBC was the Swiss part of ABB before they merged). It lasted over ten years, but unfortunately also expensive multimeters are destroyed by user error.  I prefer when due to my mistakes $3 goes up in smoke not $300 Martin