Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2018, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 May 2018 09:02:01 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Material Source for Custom Table Leg

Can any of you tell me where to buy steel tube material to make a custom rear table leg? I measured it at 1.375 inch OD and 0.1 inch wall thickness.

My '84 Wolfsburg: https://sbw.org/sbwsty/

My idea is to extend the vertical tube about 12 inches taller and weld the horizontal tube in the original position, forming a T.

I'm in Los Angeles, where you'd think you can get anything. But I've visited a local distributor, and they only have expensive DOM stock in that size:

https://www.mkmetal.net/

They recommended a bigger distributor who list it in CDSR in their catalog, but who don't actually have it available:

https://www.tubeservice.com/

A local welder says he can do the job, but he doesn't have the stock.

Why a custom table leg? Because I want to add a mount for a monitor, so I can work on the computer more easily in the van. It turns out the table leg is the same OD as the tube in the monitor mount I'm looking at.

https://urlzr.mp/fmb (Amazon)

I've checked the geometry: If the tube extends above the top of the stove, the arm of the mount can reach toward the front of the van, around the back of a 27-inch monitor, and hold the monitor in a comfortable position to work with a keyboard and mouse on the table.

In that position, the arm would interfere with opening or closing the kitchen top. And I certainly wouldn't use the aft burner of the stove with the monitor deployed!

But it'll be easy to swing the monitor around to stow flat against the side window forward of the closet door. I plan to rig tie downs to hold the monitor securely against the window while driving. And probably some sort of cover with a pad to protect the face of the monitor when stowed.

My van has the clunky old-style table mounting plate. I would probably flatten the end of the horizontal tube to fit the newer-style mounting plate:

https://urlzr.mp/emb (GoWesty)