Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 May 2018 10:10:11 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Install grease fitting on upper control arm bushing(s)
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

As usual Dennis, great useful info. If bushings are failing (likely) im certain I'll install either the GW or T3 part.

With the arm freed from the upper ball joint, if the bushing is failing or failed, can that "notchy" feel be felt by hand when moving the arm up and down?

Some years ago i cut open some failed circa mid 2000's bushings to see how much weld time (heat it took to burn through to the rubber. Some images of that here. Please excuse some images showing earlier more uneducated efforts on my part:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EzTVVmJB2KYTBPhc2

I doubt that the bushings shown are the factory installed parts.

None of the UCA bushings ive ever held in my hand have looked or felt overly robust but then i have no real base line; ive never felt or seen the factory installed part. I think one cause of premature wear on these bushings is folks like me who drive over some fairly relatively challenging dirt road to get to free or cheap camp spots. Im quite certain that some after market bushings are not up to that task or at least a more extreme range of arm movement etc.

- An uneducated guess and opinion -

I have to wonder if computer aided design etc. has, in part, afforded makers of some parts to fine tune the design of a part to the point that it can be made with the absolute minimal amount of material and material quality for a specific range of use. eg UCA bushings designed to work well on maintained paved roads only, with stock diamager tires, shocks, no extreme heavy loads etc.

Neil.