Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2018 22:39:47 +0000
From:         David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM>
Subject:      Electrical Gremlin Back
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

(had to start a new thread due to message length limit) ...

I added the GoWesty SA kit, the one with the 4 headlight grill, not the high power kit, which did not come with additional relays. I did the high power kit, with the additional relay, many years ago. I will dig into this further as clearly the increased amps from this and other accessories is causing a problem.

I did do a few things to help with the load. When I added an auxiliary battery (this is an '85 westy) I also added another fuse bus under the driver seat with a ground wire direct from the auxiliary battery and all accessories off this bus. The stereo and stereo amp, for example, operate off this bus. I also switched all lights but headlights to LEDs. I thought about grounding the headlights to this bus, but not sure that is any better.

Thanks for your help.

Dave B. Boise

From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 5:35:49 PM To: David Boan; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Electrical Gremlin Back

What did you upgrade the headlights with? Increased amperage through this switch is probably what did it in. If you added more wattage- or bulbs you need relays and to upgrade current path all the way back to the alternator.

Dennis From: David Boan [mailto:dboan@outlook.com] Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 4:42 PM To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Electrical Gremlin Back

OK, I hope this is helpful to others, it is helpful to me. ...

I pulled the wiring harness off the ignition and tested it. The hot wires have 12.8v and the rest have between .4 and .8 ohm resistance. Seems good. Plugged in harness, did not check all wires as van starts just fine. Checked X contact with ignition on and it has no power. Seems that the ignition switch is the culprit. Also seems that poor grounds are the underlying culprit as all this started with upgrading electronics (headlights and stereo). So, spending the weekend cleaning every ground I can find before putting in new switch.

Does all that sound right?

Thanks for the help.

Dave B. Boise