Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jun 2018 23:42:38 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: trip report, Europe 2018, part 1
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <modrillock@GMAIL.COM>

I'm trying to get up the courage to ask Mark about renting his Van in Europe.

From: Mark Drillock <modrillock@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, June 22, 2018 4:18 PM Subject: trip report, Europe 2018, part 1 After a couple days of sightseeing in Stockholm I picked up our 87 Westy from storage in Amsterdam, all went smoothly again this time. Connected the batteries and started the engine. I drove her on to the elevator and down she went to ground level and out the gate of the storage business for what I expected to be the last time. Stopped for fresh gas and air in the tires, then about 2 miles to the campground to get her ready for a couple months of travel. I had about a week to get in the groove before picking up my wife Anne in Munich. I planned to work my way south through western Germany and as luck would have it an American couple camped near me in their Westy had just come north that way. They suggested some nice camp stops along the Rhine and I took their suggestions, happy to be exploring the countryside leisurely on mellow roads rather than on the autobahn. The farmlands and hillside vineyards were pretty and idyllic, making me sorry Anne was missing it.

In Stuttgart I visited the Porsche museum and the next day the Mercedes museum. Both were interesting but the Mercedes one was more so for me with more diverse vehicles and longer history. In between I stayed at an urban campground adjacent to a fairgrounds where a crowded spring carnival was underway. Lots of laughing and group singing into the night, they drink beer everywhere in Germany. The party music and screams from the rides eventually wound down but I was happy to move on after only one night of it. I dropped down to the edge of the Black Forest in hopes of meeting a friend of a friend who has a VW van customization business in a small town there.�  It was a very beautiful drive but I found a sign on the door that they were closed for a time, so it was off to Munich ahead of schedule.

In Munich I again stayed at a campground in the city, in an area of large public parks and waterways as well as good public transit. Lots of other T3 vans and VW campers were there and I spent time talking with their various owners. My campsite was next to a long flowing pond for competitive rowing and the spillway at the water entry had lines of people in wetsuits with surfboards, taking turns riding the "wave" that formed there. I think this went on day and night though I never checked very late. This camp also had an outside vending machine for BEER, open to any passerby. Not even that expensive, same price as cokes from an adjacent machine. Thirsty for a beer? Camp store closed? No problem!

From when I picked up the van I had been desperate for an oil change, with 2 years and 14k miles since the last one. I was having no luck finding a place that would do it and I later learned it was because it happened to be the time of year when people had to or wanted to remove their winter tires with other service getting done at the same time. Every place I checked was jammed and said it would be a week or two until they could squeeze me in. Finally in Munich I spotted a quiet looking 'vehicle inspection only' shop who agreed to let me do it myself with my tools as long as I took the used oil with me. I was relieved and quickly did so, putting the used oil back into the liter bottles the new oil came in. When done I held out a fist of cash and the young manager took a single 5 euro note with a smile. Still holding out my hand of cash I asked where I could take my old oil but he shook his head.�  He said he didn't know and that usually people returned old oil to the place they bought their new oil. I had bought my new oil and a bucket in Spain the year before and had been dragging it around while watching for a place to change it on the sly. Now I was faced with dragging the old oil around for a while too.

From the oil change place I decided to drive to the BMW museum for a tour and then head out of Munich to find a camp more convenient to the remote airport for the night before Anne was to arrive. The BMW museum visit was great, though seeing exact models of cars and motorcycles I once owned as historical museum pieces gave me something to think about. The next day leaving the campground I stopped to use a gas station coin operated vacuum cleaner and noticed an oily gravel area next to it. There it was, a capped pipe sticking out of the ground, for people to dump their used motor oil into an underground tank. Happy day. With the van cleaned up it was time for the airport, to meet Anne. Our 30 year anniversary was coming in 3 days.

Amsterdam camp https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1793709.jpg

Rhine shore camp https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1793708.jpg