Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Jun 2018 02:17:15 +0000
From:         David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM>
Subject:      Electrical Gremlin Back

Hi Vanagon Types ... I wrote more than a month ago about my dash lights fuse blowing and could not find the culprit (I ruled out the headlight switch by swapping in a good switch). I have not had the time to get back to it, then this week it got worse. First, my dimmer switch stopped working with the lights on high beam (I also have the South Africa headlight setup). Then after about 20' of driving that way I lost headlights and wipers (fortunately it was not dark out). I went home, checked fuse block fuses and they were all OK . Next, I discovered my auxiliary battery was drained (main battery OK). Also, signals and driving lights OK.

So, my next step was to examine the turn switch and wiper assembly. I removed it and cleaned it (my first tactic is usually to clean things). The dimmer/rear wiper switch will not click or move the full distance. I also noticed that on the inside of the assembly opposite the dimmer switch some plastic appears to have melted. I have not seen a new one so not certain this is abnormal.

This seems to make this assembly the cause of the problem, but before I spend money on an expensive part I wonder if I am missing something. Could there be an underlying issue causing both the dimmer switch problem and the headlights/wipers? Should I do any other tests?

Thank you in advance for being a great resource.

Dave B.

Boise