Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jun 2018 08:19:21 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator elimination thoughts
Comments: To: "Jim. Felder" <jim.felder@gmail.com>

The refrigerator in my 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile was beyond hope, though I used it effectively from 2009 when I got the van until two years ago. It got so it would only cool about 15 F below ambient, which meant that at 90 F I was getting 75 F. It formerly would cool down to the mid thirties at 90 ambient, though I have been told that delta -35 is the best to be expected. Another person found a fouled internal propane line (rust inside). Replacing that made a slight difference. I replaced the tank and regulator, and the propane lines, thinking that if there was rust in the refrigerator, that the tank likely had some water. Needed the new tank anyway. Made no difference.

So, I ordered the GoWesty refrigerator removal kit to make things simple, and pulled the refrigerator out. It sits in my shop right now, awaiting being junked. Haven't yet checked concerning the ammonia and disposal of the unit, but I suppose there may be some cost involved.

But I am glad I pulled the refrigerator. I like the extra storage space, and like you, I always carried an ice chest anyway. Nowadays that is a Yeti, since we camp in bear country.

So far as fan noise, though the fan definitely ran when it should, even when the refrigerator was not operating if the van sat in the sun, I had to put an ear to the side of the van or over the refrigerator to hear it.

How does the refrigerator get one access to nicer and cheaper campsites? With or without it, I camp wherever I want to, but mostly in free locations (NFS and BLM waterless campgrounds), or at open camping locations. That point cited in favor of the refrigerator confuses me considerably.

So far as "ruining" the camper for a future owner, I don't expect there to be one in my lifetime, and if there ever is, (s)he won't have to hassle with a non-workable refrigerator.

mcneely