Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2018, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jul 2018 20:16:04 +0000
From:         Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@ICLOUD.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Westfalia front springs
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis please don't apologize!  I appreciate whatever free time you have to help.  Only wish I lived closer.  I did base my summer holidays around getting a new canvas installed this summer by Ateliers PK in Quebec.  You never know! I measured from the lip to the ground. RF 28 inches RR 28.5 inches LF  27 LR 27 Only 1-1.5 inches difference but it looks like more?  And you're right both front and back are sagging.  I guess I would need to replace all four springs then? Thanks Jeff On Jul 17, 2018, at 06:55 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: Sorry about the delay getting back to you. Left side sag can be a combination of both springs. For some reason the 85's seem to suffer or it is the most obvious on these. Having a scale set it is really interesting how well weight is actually distributed. What you need to do is measure the fender lip to axle center distances. Then you will see if you have a true corner sag or a side to side sag. it is common for some springs to take "set" If this is the case a fix would be to swap the springs left-right or shim to adjust. If going the shim route you need to consider that as you lift a corner you will take weight off 2 wheels and transfer that weight to the wheel diagonally opposite the one you lifted. There is a lot of dynamics. A really good suspension shop should have scales. Scales are helpful to get this right. Dennis ________________________________ From: Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@icloud.com> Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 12:16 AM To: Dennis Haynes Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 85 Westfalia front springs Found my original receipt from 2005! Part number 251411105A952 which is still on their site as stock replacement including camper. Jeff On Jul 15, 2018, at 10:51 PM, Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@icloud.com> wrote: Thanks Dennis. I replaced all four of them with Bus Depot springs about 10 years ago. I thought there were more to choose from rather than just one type. I just got back from a big trip today and had noticed some sagging on the driver’s side during the trip, but no issues with performance. I know it’s normal for a bit of leaning on the driver’s side, and i was loaded heavier than usual with full cupboards, fridge, water tank etc so chalked it up to that and uneven ground. But back at home in my driveway the lean looks more noticeable. Is there anything else it could be? Thanks Jeff On Jul 15, 2018, at 10:24 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: The ETKA did list different springs for various models indicated by paint marks. For the most part the aftermarket sells springs based on height or lift and usually they are replaced in sets of 4. Why do you think you need new ones? These vans tend to ride high in the front. The original rears do need to be checked for condition of the thin tails. These ends tend to rust and then break leaving a chance for a spring to work out. Dennis -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Palmer Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:39 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: 85 Westfalia front springs Hi everyone. I need new front springs for an 85 Westfalia. Are they the same as every other year? For some reason I thought they were unique? Stock wheels and tires. Thanks Jeff Sent from my iPhone