Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2018, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jul 2018 11:46:09 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: tire pressures and alignments
Comments: To: Gabriel Hourtouat <ghourtouat@GMAIL.COM>

I'm underwhelmed by the quality of some shop work.  We had a vehicle aligned after bodywork and I could see it crabbing while following my wife home from the shop.  Returned and they insisted it was correct.  Got them to have one staffer drive it while the supervisor and I followed behind and his comment was, "What you see from the passenger seat is not what I see from the driver's seat.  Different angle."  Duh.  Claimed he saw nothing amiss. I wound up making a set of gauge blocks using broomsticks and bungee cords and determined that the right rear was cocked inward relative to the left so corrected it myself. Stephen

On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎July‎ ‎17‎, ‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎32‎:‎34‎ ‎PM, Gabriel Hourtouat <ghourtouat@GMAIL.COM> wrote: Wheel alignment conducted at a shop -- so under-whelming...

Maybe I am overly enthusiastic about my van or something like that; but I feel when I get an alignment done, I deserve a description of how it went: in what condition was the alignment found, in what condition was it left. Some numbers, a report.  Something!

Zilch.  Impassive faces.  blank stares.

And after asking many questions that didn't get answered, I finally got: "there was only one adjustment I couldn't make -- rear right wheel -- totally seized up."

In the end, I didn't believe anything that they told me.  It just seemed like lip service.

Do some shops provide a report of "as found" and "as corrected", specifications, measurements, etc?