Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2018, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2018 23:18:26 +0000
From:         Dan Lamb <mopargramps@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Blinkers and back-ups
Comments: To: "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>

Dave, they make a brush on electrical "tape" that you can smear all over the connection.  Can get it at Harbor Freight or online.  It will set up after a while and stay put.  If you need in there again, just peel it off or whittle it off with a knife.  Sounds like you've got plenty of light.  Hard to have too much.  Thought about putting in a override switch so I could use the lights to back off a bumper hugger.  Never did. l just put on the flashers if I want them to get back.  Usually works. Dan On Friday, August 3, 2018, 2:18:54 PM PDT, ddbjorkman@verizon.net <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET> wrote: Hi All; Took me a little while to respond to help ideas on my mis-functioning blinker and installation of the NiLight 18 W lights as reverse lights. I just got back from our annual vacation with family and friends in Newport RI.  I usually plan a job or 2 on the Bus ('87 Westy) while I have some free time down in Newport.  It's a great excuse while others are shopping or such.  The turn signal turned out to be a connector to the socket only holding on by a few strands of wire.  A cut back and installation of new connector fixed that one.  I must admit, it had me somewhat stymied until the bad connection revealed itself upon multiple inserts and removals.  The reverse lights were simply hooked up to the reverse switch on the manual tranny.  I had gone as far as snaking a wire from the closet to the engine compartment with the thought of putting in a switch up front.  But time and tides made me realize that getting it all the way up front properly, deciding on a power source, deciding on a switch location and installation would not happen.  So I did a really good job of the installation to the tranny switch.  I have an impressive amount of light back there now.  There was enough to aim the lights off center to light up the surrounding area behind me.  One question I would like to ask the list though.  I inserted a double male connector to the single male output connector of the reverse switch to connect the power for the new lights.  Anyone have a good idea for what to use as a connection cover?  I thought about shrink wrap, but am not sure how well it would hold up or it's water tightness around an irregular shape.  The original rubber cover on the original wire is OK for it's connection, and I used an insulated connector on the other connection (probably not watertite), but the female on the double connector which connects to the switch is open to the elements, and whatever else comes up on the underside of a Vanagon.

Dave B.