Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2018, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Aug 2018 17:54:21 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Roof rack product query, or market question

Hi,

I’ve been very quiet on the list for the last year or so. Changed jobs, trying hard as an old man can, to get up to speed on cnc production ( big router table and cnc mill) and on the associated 3D modelling software ( mostly fusion 360).

But during this time, I’ve been making this and that with the new tools I have access to. Some, I think, interesting stuff and I’d like to sell some of the things sometime.

One of the things is a lightweight roof rack for the westy. Yes, attached to the pop top but really designed for light loads and in my case specifically three 80 watt solar panels.

Cnc cut aluminum with 2550 extrusion cross bars. The design is meant to be flexible to accommodate the particular needs.

What I’m wondering, and to be clear I’ve only done the 3D model and I’m halfway through making a prototype for myself, is does anyone else want such a thing? You know how it is, you can spend a lot of time working on you’re own project without having to account for manufacturing costs. But if there is a market then the design and production has to be tweaked to make it worthwhile to make. Worthwhile means profitable :-)

So what do you think? Anyone out there jonesing for a lightweight roof rack and does anyone have any particular carrying needs they want to accommodate?

Thanks

Alistair