Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2018, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:18:03 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Infrared thermometers

Getting accurate measurements with IR thermometers can be a lot more complicated than people think, for two reasons.

The first is simply a matter of spot size and placement. The gun will display the average temperature of the entire spot, and on the cheapest ones the spot is about two inches across at eight inches distance. Fancier ones may go two inches in twenty or twenty four inch distance. And of course at short distances the laser pointer is offset from the measuring area. A combination of those factors accounts for many low readings.

The second reason -- an excellent example is my aluminum dryer duct. With the dryer running the IR gun shows ~86F; but the spot of gray paint two inches away that I sprayed on the duct shows ~127F, which is the same as I get using a surface temperature probe. But if I adjust the the gun so the bare aluminum reads correctly, then the paint spot shows around 275F.

The reason is a property of materials called emissivity, which is to say how efficiently they radiate infrared. Most materials have high emissivity ranging from 0.9 to 0.98; and cheap IR thermometers are set to a fixed emissivity value of 0.95 (fancier ones like mine allow you to adjust the emissivity correction).

However, metals, particularly shiny metals, have very low emissivity, often below 0.1. This causes the measured temperature (hot or cold) to be closer to room temperature than is accurate, with the difference increasing as temps get farther from room temperature. In order to get my dryer duct to read correctly I have to set the emissivity on the gun to 0.22.

Also, emissivity varies with surface finish and with the temperature being measured. If you want exact results for a given material and condition, you really have to measure the actual temperature with a surface probe, and adjust the gun to match. Emissivity tables like the one below give a starting point which is usually close enough for non-critical work -- but the lower the material's emissivity, the more difference a few hundredths makes. 0.95 to 0.90 isn't a huge difference; but 0.10 to 0.05 is.

http://www-eng.lbl.gov/~dw/projects/DW4229_LHC_detector_analysis/calculations/emissivity2.pdf