Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Aug 2018 10:57:16 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: pop top lift springs

I'm here! The link is below. IIRC, David Beierl posted info and images of this.

Caveat: materials, methods I used to repair to the "cut" bar and damaged upper strut end, were not ideal. They were used-done to show what an "every man" without a welder might do. At minimum, the copper tube was a waste of time. Next time I'd weld new metal as Stuart suggests. Link to images of what I did:

https://goo.gl/photos/Nt3JfzjD27jJRkZG6

The cables I made used cable and fittings from a local marine repair shop. The shop swaged the ball onto the end of the cable. They were installed ~ 2010 and still work. Since the top is down most of the time (cables are tensioned) the swaged ball fit appears to be reliable though a longer ball with more purchase to cable couldn't hurt ?? Image of cable I made:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/neBLZ48mFEGR5R6g6

With the top down the cables should have tension. (spring is compressed)

With top up, if the upper strut end juts forward and downward away from the lower strut, the upper strut has likely cut into the lower strut.

I installed medium strength gas cartridge struts to the pop top and tested how the top went up-down with and without the stock springs. IMO, the stock springs are needed. IF it were feasible to install the gas cartridges further forward, that *might* negate the need for the stock springs. Maybe..... That said, I really like the added gas cartridges.

Neil.

On 8/23/18, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's usually the cable that breaks. Neil N once posted a nice cable repair > on Picassa, but it's gone away along with Picassa. (Neil??) > > You'll need to find a used H-bar. It's best if you can get the seller to > take it apart (easy) and ship it. Then you can see if the center bar is > cut, > which can be fixed with welding and grinding. If they won't take it > apart, > it has to be carefully double zip tied folded, and will cost about $100 to > ship vs. 1/3rd that. (BTDT). > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> On Behalf Of mike > riley > Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 7:23 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: pop top lift springs

> Anybody replaced the springs? Any info anywhere? I want to fix this not put > a band aid on it with struts.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>