Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2018 14:43:37 -0400
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: new dometic model
Comments: To: tdiguru@westyventures.com

Here is a simple fix for ventilation issues for fridges in a vanagon: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y06792hj6472s0b/20180826_142843.jpg?dl=0

Put a quality (low current, quiet, efficient) fan on the side grill vent.

You'll also find people who install an outdoor vent by repurposing the city water port but since the intake air doesn't change, I find the side vent preferable. (It only is important to put the hot air from the fridge outside the van if you are concerned that the hot fridge air will actually meaningfully increase the temperature of the whole van so that the intake air temperature at the bottom of the fridge is increased. Unless you are taking measures to keep the van warm---in which case it's cool out and the fridge is working fine anyways---this will not be the case.h

When this fan is on, you can feel warm air coming out of the side vent and cool air being drawn in the bottom intake (at the bottom front of the fridge). I really doubt the other campers get significantly more cooling on their fridge fins than you get with this simple setup. (I also have a fan in the stock location).

Another plus about this fan location is that it can be easily replaced without removing the fridge.

In terms of performance: I couldn't make ice on a summer day before, and now I can. Granted I haven't tried it at 100 degrees yet...