Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2018, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Aug 2018 11:24:46 -0500
From:         "Jim. Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Everything peachy with vanagon.com foil replacement except...

Regarding my coolant level LED coming on after installing the vanagon.org dash foil replacement kit: OK, some progress in the past few days. This has been a tough one but I have had David B's help to bring me along.

In the midst of all this swapping, removal, cleaning, tweaking and testing, I discovered that the integrity of my new dash foil, instruments and voltage is very much in spec. What I was not ready for is the fact that, since it is 95 degrees inside my van right now at best during mid-day, of course I was running a dash fan, flipping it on as soon as I left my driveway. That dash fan is not fluctuating the voltage, so it is not the fault of the dash foil replacement regulator, but rather the RF from the fan. Flip the fan on, the coolant light comes on. Flip the fan off, the coolant light goes out. So, the foil may--or may not--be overly sensitive to RF. In any event, I tried several other items lying around to put a load on the cig lighter wiring just to see what happened.

iPhone charging = nothing 300/600 watt inverter -= nothing 300/600 watt inverter with 110 v room fan plugged in = nothing.

I have ordered an identical replacement fan through NAPA that will be here this afternoon. It may end up that I cannot use an AC fan with this dash foil replacement kit, but it may be likely that I can move the 12v source from the fuse block to another source. My rear outlet comes directly off the car's battery, and the offending fan plugged in there does not trigger the coolant level light.

It should be said that though it seems I have finally identified the problem, and that without the problem load, the circuitry acts normal, I have not driven extensively enough to prove it will never happen under any other circumstances. The problem does not occur when I run the wiper motor.

Jim