Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2018, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Oct 2018 18:57:15 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The value of instrumentation
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Very very interesting. Thank you for explaining.

The ~ 250,000 KM used ABA oil pump gear lash was in spec and the diesel oil pick up tube was new. I did find it interesting to see that with the parts dry, there was a tiny bit of play between the drive shaft and bushing at pump body. Even on a new pump. This seemed to affect gear lash measurement. But then that play likely gets taken up by oil.

Ironically, before the first test start, I did pre fill the first filter and primed the pump. I was surprised to see how much physical load is added once the oil (presumably) started to circulate while priming pump by hand.

Being my first real engine rebuild, I'm not ruling out debris as a cause, but if the only issue is that I have to run the engine at least every 3 days, that's a non issue.

Neil.

On 10/27/18, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Excessive end play on gears causes priming issues due to the lack of oil > film creating enough suction to get the flow going, not due to the oil > draining down. However, an oil pump wearing is on its own a sign for > concern. Pumping oil it should never wear unless debris or something is > happening. Resistance after the pump can also be an issue. Having air space > above will make it easier for the pump to lift to get the initial flow. > Counter intuitive but I do not prefill filters when doing oil changes. > Caterpillar also instructs not to adding that pouring in oil will result in > unfiltered oil going to the bearings. I would hop only clean oil is in the > new bottles though! > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Neil N [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] > Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 9:20 PM > To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: The value of instrumentation

> Initially I had thought the Fram "Extra Guard" or whatever oil filter had a > bum check valve so swapped in a Mann. No change. The only real positive > change was after I reduced oil pump gear axial play. After that, engine cold > first start, oil pressure appeared instantly. > > When the oil pressure issue happens i can hear a subtle noise at the head. > As soon as pressure appears, the noise abates. > > This engine has been run literally not even 30 minutes. At times i wonder if > there's still assembly lube floating around in the oil system but not sure > if it is and how that might affect oiling. (cause oil light to stay on after > engine not used for 4 or 5 days).

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>