Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2018, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:15:23 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: starter
Comments: To: Karl mullendore <tdiguru@westyventures.com>

My advice is that if you go with an aftermarket starter either the Go Westy version or the Chinese starter, you keep your old Bosch unit as a core you can send in to have rebuilt if things don't go well. I have sold hundreds of Bosch remanufactured starters the majority of these have had no issues. We have a 2 year warranty if there is a problem, just let me know. I have installed a few of the Go Westy starters and when you first install them they are great. However, over time, they don't hold up as well as the Bosch units in my opinion. I had one that I installed come back dead after a year. When I pulled it, the starter looked like it had lived on the bottom of the ocean for that entire year and it was basically junk. The customer had gone full "Go Westy" mania so he had tossed his old starter and it was a late model automatic (the hardest core to get). So he had to buy a rebuilt Bosch unit and pay the full price of the rebuild and the core.

So I am not saying don't do it. But have a plan B.

Same thing goes if you have an automatic and decide to get Chinese rear axles. Keep your old German ones. You will soon need them.

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com