Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2018, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:53:32 +0000
From:         den jolliffe <sondancer77@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering help request

I am totally enamored with the rubber hose kit from BD...hope they don't sell out before I can buy a set...I have wrestled with replacing metal power steering lines with metal more than once and it is not a fun job even on a hoist where you can get at it...one less thing to be concerned about on the road... On Sunday, November 11, 2018, 6:54:37 p.m. EST, Jack R <jack007@COMCAST.NET> wrote: Eric,

If you are low on fluid, you likely have a system leak.  The old lines are subject to rusting and leading, if the leak is a seal in the rack... there's hope! By the way, never put in regular power steering fluid.  As you listed below, Dexron/Mercron ATF fluid, is the correct fit.  No major difference in my opinion between regular and synthetic.

I replaced my rack on my 84 about 10 years ago, 2 years ago, it started leaking again.  I added the Lucas stuff, with great success! https://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-power-steering-stop-leak

Probably a good idea to flush the system, look at replacing the lines with these https://www.busdepot.com/251498100 (if yours are shot, like most).

My guess is that it isn't a loose belt.  Link to video on how to tighten belts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fsIhY3jEJc

Good luck!

Jack R. 84 Westy

Hi folks,

Today I started the van and heard a noise I have not heard before.  It increased and changed with the turning of the steering wheel.  Loud and almost growl like.

I checked and the power steering belt is intact but more loose then I would think is right.  Alternator belt also pretty loose.

Power steering fluid looks to be below min in the rear bottle.

Can someone tell me if the Dextron IV Synthetic AT flid I have is correct for the power steering?

Also, the procedure for tightening the power steering belt.  I’ve done the alternator one before.

And, any thoughts on what the loud sound connected to the power steering indicates and what I might be in for?

Can adding fluid directly to the rear bottle fill the system from a small leak or is there more I need to do?

tips and info are greatly appreciated.

Eric

85 GL Auto =