Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2018, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Dec 2018 01:50:57 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Adding Cruise Control

Ah...what the heck!

I sent this info to subaruvanagon list, and then thought it also might be useful info for others, with whatever engines you've got. Cruise control is mighty fun.

Rich San Diego

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Richard Koerner rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net [subaruvanagon] <subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com>To: "subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com" <subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018, 3:43:33 PM PSTSubject: Re: [subaruvanagon] Re: Adding Cruise Control

I've been very happy with the "old school" (that is using manifold vacuum for the servo) Audiovox CCS100 cruise control.  I used it for 10 years on my 1.9 Wasserboxer in my 85 manual tintop, and then when I did the Subie 2.2 swap 3 years ago I transferred it over.

It is awesome!  Instant engagement, holds super duper steady.  Has never failed me.

Takes a day to install and I'm slow: running wires from dash to engine compartment, mounting control on lower dash, securing vacuum servo which needs a plastic "T" to connect to manifold vacuum, attaching sensor and magnets in the CV joint area, connecting a wire to rear brake light which serves to disengage the unit.  It's not bad at all, kinda fun really, just takes a while.  And I rate myself about a 3 out of 10 as far as being an automotive mechanic.

I did two minor upgrades, both of which I recommend:  I replaced wimpy magnets on axle with powerful rare earth magnets, and I added a Vacuum Canister.

You need a source for Subie engine RPM; my converter told me which wire it was, tapped into it, and it all works beautifully.

Here's a source for the kit:  CCS100 Cruise Control

| | | CCS100 Cruise Control |

They sell also a Vacuum Canister which looks fine; I got mine 15 years ago at Napa.

Since I tend to drive some pretty long distances, the Cruise Control upgrade is a MUST for me.  I remember how my ankle would get tired before....but not now.

Also, if you decide to go this route, I can send you pics of certain details you will encounter or answer questions to coach you along.

Rich

San Diego

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018, 3:01:41 PM PST, raspyni@gmail.com [subaruvanagon] <subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Ah, should have added a detail: - Westfalia - full camper - 4-speed manual transmission

- CA registered - Kennedy conversion kit I think that's about it :) Thanks. __._,_.___ Posted by: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> | Reply via web post | • | Reply to sender | • | Reply to group | • | Start a New Topic | • | Messages in this topic (3) |

Have you tried the highest rated email app? With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage. Visit Your Group • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use SPONSORED LINKS . __,_._,___