Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2018, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Dec 2018 14:41:04 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <eric.caron@ICLOUD.COM>
Subject:      Re: MMO in oil
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Dan,

Thirty something years ago I was stranded in a cold snow storm in Watertown NY. My cold 74 bus sat outside the motel for two cold days. I had 20/50 oil in it. I tried to start it after the cold and it hardly turned over. I knew my oil level was a bit low so I took a quart of oil into the motel and sat it on the heater. When good and hot I took it out and put it in the engine. I waited about 20 seconds then tried starting the van. It turned over a bit faster and started up!

So, I’m no stranger to doing unusual things with oil.

Still, I’d recommend simply taking out that thick oil and putting in a lighter weight for cold weather. I think you should be careful to use the product designed for the purpose and the Mystery oil is not for replacing oil.

I’m also a big believer in the mobile 1 synthetic oils. And there are good options for cold weather and wide temp ranges.

I had 20 50 in the van when purchased. On the way home at idle I had a oil light flicker happening. It was very hot weather and long hot miles. Still, after changing to Mobile 1 and 5 yeas no one has reported that flicker returning.

So, I recommend correct oil for the conditions and not taking chances.

Best,

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto