Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2019, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Jan 2019 23:17:21 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dielectric grease
Comments: To: David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM>

Yes, I think you've got it right. On widely spaced terminals (like ground connections), you are good with something like white lithium grease for the connector to contact; and then an overcoat of dielectric grease for overall corrosion protection. On narrowly spaced connections (think of a USB connector and such), too much risk using even a mildly conductive grease like white lithium; you don't want any potential signal "cross-talk".  I kind of compromise here.....I use the thinnest film of Vaseline I can apply, and then wipe most of it off.  Same with stuff like Headphone 1/8" connector, or a camera connection...that kind of stuff....you want to make the connection glide together easily yet don't want corrosion and surely not conductivity between close connections.

On the classic "grinding" sound from horn ring, you definitely want to use white lithium grease; if you use dielectric grease, it will only last about 6-9 months in two such trials.  Dielectric "grease" is not a lubricant; it is a coating.  White lithium grease on horn ring has lasted over 6 years now...and still counting...great lubrication and connection. (Anything like AAA or AA or 9V batteries for flashlights, remote controls, etc., I always put a coating of Vaseline on the terminals and contact areas before installing.  Makes for super reliability.) My experiences anyway. Rich San Diego

On Saturday, January 12, 2019, 2:25:05 PM PST, David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM> wrote: Quick question about using dielectric grease.  I am cleaning ground connections and will be putting on dielectric grease for the first time (at least by me).  I read that it does not conduct so to not get any on the mating surfaces.  So, is the proper use to clean the connection, reconnect, and then coat the external area with the grease?  Would you also coat the battery terminals after cleaning and reconnecting?  Anything else?

Thanks Dave B. 85 Westy Boise ID