Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2019, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Feb 2019 15:21:24 +0000
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Air recirculator
Comments: To: aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM

HI Mark.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I live in MA where we have cold winters and, once the engine heats up, I rarely have any problem with heat or defrost.  I am very aware of why one's windows fog up and use the defrost lever correctly to take care of that.  It does what it should.  I am not contemplating cutting of all outside air at any time for a prolonged period.  I would just like to make the best of the A/C that I have.  The airbox has not been removed and resealed.  The setup I was looking at, just looking for fun more than anything, there are plenty of things I need and can't afford already, did not need one to R&R the dash.  The Bus is an (almost) daily driver also, so a job like that, for me, would mean considerable down time.  And maybe more than I want to handle.  Also,this is generating some list chatter, something we all enjoy, I think. Dave B. -----Original Message----- From: Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thu, Feb 7, 2019 12:30 am Subject: Re: Air recirculator

Here are my random thoughts on this issue.  Yes it will provide a way to cut off air flow from outside if that is what you desire.  That said it will also increase the humidity inside the van and the windows will fog up more easily and often in cold weather.  This may not be an issue in your area but for those in cold or humid climates it is.  Has your air box been resealed?  That helps with unwanted airflow though there are design differences between the years and it may help some more than others.  You could build your own version of their kit if you are so inclined and have the tools, materials, time, and creativity, to do so.  I was working on one years ago when I was using my Sunroof Syncro as a year round daily driver and looking for a way to increase the cabin temperature.  My attempt was making slow progress as I did not have a spare heater box to practice on and was driving the van on a regular basis.  My first draft deleted the dash fresh air vents and used their outlets on the heater box as inlets. For the door to the outside air intake I was going to use one made of aluminum plate that was to sit between the inner firewall and the heater box.  I was working on this part when my SO replaced my daily driver Syncro with a new 2010 Honda Element for Christmas.  She must have gotten tired of hearing the kids complain of being driven to school at -20F with a blanket over their heads for for warmth.  In the end I never was able to finish the project as the Syncro was sold in the spring of 2010 before I could justify the time needed to complete it.  Living in Alaska I don't use the A/C in the Westy Syncro much, not in years at this point as the belt is off, but if I lived in a warmer climate I think I would invest in an in-dash A/C system.

Mark in AK `87 Westy Syncro