Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2019, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:03:06 -0500
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 - not starting
Comments: To: Jimmy Johnston <inmytree1@gmail.com>

Jimmy, yes of course both of these things are issues. So you need to check the timing and set it statically. If there is a question you can use a screw driver on the number one spark plug hole to find TDC along with the marks on the big pulley and the distributor. Once the timing is set, lock the distributor. Find out what is going on with the temp II plug and fix that with a new plug if need be. We have them if you need them. They are the same as the fuel injector plugs except those are black and the one for the temp II is blue. You want to get a copy of the Bentley Manual, test the Temp II with an ohm meter, repair the wiring, if the temp II tests good at the sender, plug it in and test it at the ECU plug. I have had them test good at the sender but the ECU plug it has a bad reading due to bad wiring or bad grounds. Check the grounds on the driver's side cylinder head and the strap that goes from the firewall to the head.

Once all of this is checked and good to go, if it still doesn't start, check for spark while cranking. You want multiple white sparks, not just one or two yellow ones every now and again. Also getting a compression test is a good base line to be sure that there isn't a bigger reason why it isn't starting.

Let me know if you need further advice.

Ken

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com