Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Mar 2019 08:57:57 -0700
From:         Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: No turn over
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

here's my share of the "crank but no start" problem... I hope it will help someone...

Last year on a 1000+ miles trip from Oregon to Southern California, about half way in the trip I stopped for gas, turn the engine off, get gas and then... aughhh ... crank but no start.. couple guys helped me push the van to a parking lot.. I checked everything - fuel pump, ignition switch, sparks, vacuum, ECU etc etc ...but still crank but no start. In despair I walked a couple blocks to a mechanic shop to get help but he was very busy and couldn't help for at least 3 to 4 hours... I walked back to the van and while waiting for him I check some more...

well... I have a notion about fuel pump relay and injector relay... so I opened the 2 black boxes on the driver side of the fire wall, unplug and replug all the relays and connectors... and then try to start again.... hurraay... it started right up on the first crank... I drove to the mechanic shop and cancel my appointment and hit the road... the problem never happened again for the rest of the trip and the return leg.

so... my guess is one of the connectors or relays had a bad contact and by unplug and replug them I re-establish the continuity... problem solved... :-)