Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2019, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 2019 22:53:36 +0000
From:         Sean Garrett <doit.outdoors@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: SLA AC Delco Deep Cycle? (vs Interstate)
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Curious, I forget my chemistry basics... is Hydrogen gas heavier than surrounding air ? - Sean G

On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 3:27:53 PM MST, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: I've always used Vice-Grips on the Left terminal to lift with my left hand, and steadied and balanced battery with my right hand as I lifted it out.  I've never had a bad outcome, but I could see it potentially being a problem.  Your solution is much smarter than mine. Many potential hillbilly solutions to solve this...just a couple lengths of para-cord or something would also work, provided they were installed at same time as battery replacement.   Normally we are just so eager to get a fresh battery installed that we don't consider 8 years down the road.  Some of the batteries now come with a strong Polyethylene flexible handle to do the job. I have used Group 41 Walmart batteries for both start and house for many (30) years.  No venting tubes.  I always figured the tiny amount of Hydrogen gas would just quickly rise and disappear and not be a problem since it is not being contained.  No explosions so far. I remember Chemistry in both high school and college where instructor filled a test tube with Hydrogen gas and then ignited with a welder's sparker....quite the POP!  To be respected and considered, for sure.  Maybe the lawyers at VW insisted on having venting for battery since hardly any car has a battery INSIDE of a car (yet alone the propane for stove and fridge which I consider to be a far greater danger).  Just guessing though.

Rich San Diego

    On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 2:46:17 PM PDT, Mark Belanger <mbelanger@GMAIL.COM> wrote:  I recently had to replace my main battery (replaced with a Bosch from Pep Boy) and had such a battle, even after buying two different types of battery removers (the rings that attach to the terminals finally worked), that I bought a couple of feet of 2" wide Velcro strapping and ran two loops around the new battery, duct-taped the loops secure and now have a reliable two-handed solution.

-MB